Dear Family,
I am here in Tema (teh-ma) Ghana at the MTC. The flight over here took a LONG time, but I am glad I made it. The missionaries from Ghana are all incredible. They like to have fun but have the strongest testimonies I have ever heard. I like to use a lot of words to explain concepts & they just declare a simple truth, that is very heartfelt, that is accompanied by a Spirit smack in the face with a 2 X 4 type of feeling. They know the scriptures & have a strong testimony.
My companion is Elder Assogba (ah-so-bah) from Accra Ghana. He is great. Hard worker & explains things very simply so someone could learn from him very easily. He speaks english very well & makes sure I understand what he says. He was made district leader & really wants to do a good job. He makes sure my bed is made very well vs me just leaving it messy. I think he was a rockstar at his school & ward. It is good to work with him.
The other African elders are all great & pack a big spirit. Here are some of their names. Amoa-Obenakwah, Chikwendo (chee-kwlen-do), Ahaiki Ekenuem, Acquah, Lingsley, & a lot of others I just learned & have forgot for obvious reasons. There is one elder from South Africa, Elder Cindi (tsi-indy). They are all going to Nigeria except 1 or 2.
The U.S.A.'ers are Elder Berry, Farnsworth, Moses, and another Elder Bills from SLC. Bills is fresh out of High School, a 270 lb. football player. He makes me laugh & some others. Everyone is so young. I am old even though I'm not...
The weather here is hmm, not Utah blazing hot, but a nice soggy warm all the time. I sweat tons. The local Ghanan dudes carry a handkerchief all the time for sweat.
This whole living by a schedule all day every day thing is hard but I'll get used to it. I made friends with the cook lady who serves food. I told her I loved the pineapple so much so she said, "Hey! Elder who loves pineapple with all his heart, come get some more." The fruit here rocks. Dessert is salty at times...
All the Ghana dudes rock at soccer & are in shape. I keep up but can't control the ball w/my feet super-well. I got scored on, I will have my vengeance!!!
Love you all & miss you. Bonk heads for Britt, poke dads tummy, give mom a stumpy sniff on her head for me.
The Church is True
Love, Elder Bills (Pronounced 'Be-ol', they leave off the 's' a lot, ha-ha.
P.S. Please send my Patriarchal blessing. I forgot 2 bring it.