Monday, April 25, 2011

Dear family!


Yo so this Saturday and Sunday we get to watch conference. They make them into DVD's and we watch 2 sessions here. We are all going to the stake center to watch it. A lot of the members sneak out after the first session. I think that the english is hard for some and they don't comprehend the message. I love listening and watching the choir. Man the singing is good. It is very different from all the church music we hear on the streets. The music is pretty crap on the street actually. Not in tune or anything like that. Tuning is relative to different countries so here it isn't a big deal. Also the bass players play too many high notes. Just cut those higher frets off the bass haha.

So this week we got Kingsley interviewed for his baptism. He met President Smith and was very happy. He is ready to be baptized this Saturday. Man I called Elder Farnbach and told him that we were going to baptize Kingsley. Elder Farnbach was teaching Kingsley about 1 year ago and tried and tried but Kingsley was struggling with the alcohol. Now I am lucky and get to harvest the fruits of Elder Farnbach. He was super excited as were all of us. The whole mission will dance around when he is baptized this Saturday!

Seems like we have fruit growing everywhere here. People are just prepared. I have never really had to teach anyone about why Jesus is so important or why going to church is necessary etc. Everyone here loves God. It is a very prepared place, no place sweeter.

We were trying really hard to get some people to church and even went to pick up some. Their weeks and weeks of excuses of not being able to come had piled up and there was nothing else they could say haha. We went to locate a particular man and he was walking around kinda pacing and then got dressed and then said at the last min that he was not feeling well and said that, "don't worry, when I feel better I will come." Man I was upset because this man had committed to come and has had 'selective sickness' again and again but knows that it is true and we have sent members over to visit him etc. He wants his kid to get baptized but we won't baptize a minor without the parent there. Man some people just are too proud to come or they are afraid of what people will think etc. He asked for a priesthood blessing again as he was 'sick.' The blessing stated that he would be healed just as the Nephites were made strong when in bondage so that the burdens placed on their backs were made light, however this is a conditional blessing on his faith in Christ and faith requires action or else the blessing would availeth him nothing. One day I feel that he will come. We just need to let him sit awhile.

Anywho we were having a somehow week with a lot of people telling us they were not coming to church because it was Easter. However we prayed really hard and worked and worked. We still were only expecting 1 to come to church. However 7 people showed up! Man it was awesome. A part member family let me down last week because of rain and the power was off so he couldn't iron his shirt and he didn't come with his daughter; however this week his daughter came and had a great time! His name is Frank and his daughter is Angela. Frank is cool, he is a tailor and fixed my ripped trousers for me. His wife can't speak the english and goes to 'living bread ministries.' I asked her if she took the sacrament every week and she said no, ironic eh. Anywho she doesn't like coming because of her english. I'll try to sneak her into the literacy class! We are trying with that family.

Also a man named Gerhardt (german ancestory) came. His son is a member. Gerhardt is around 70 years old. He is a skinny guy. Teaching him is tricky. We only cover maybe like half a principle, like Holy Ghost doesn't have a body. Pray. Come back next time. He reads a lot but nothing sticks so we just come and make him feel happy while his son bears his testimony etc. He has been prepared to come for 2 weeks but his son forgot to pick him. (smacks self in head!) I talked to the son and said, "didn't you say you were praying that your dad would sit down with missionaries and come to church?" He said yes. "Now he is finally sitting down, all you gotta do is drive him to church with your family. He stays in your same house, literally next door. Would you pick your father to church this Sunday?" Well the son didn't come to church this week because his daughter got typhoid but he sent his small boy to church with the Gerhardt. It was cool. I didn't see Gerhardt at church at the beginning, but during sacrament I called and called and no answer. I then walked through the church and found him. He joined another classroom and I pulled him from it and brought him inside. He was really happy. Hopefully we will baptize him soon.

We also had the ward family history specialist bring his granddaughter for the 2nd time to church. She is from an obscure village and reading the English is a problem. She attended literacy class and liked it. She smiles when she sees us. Elder Dakouri did a no-no last week though. They invited us for fufu and he didn't show up! I was on splits in Kasoa and he forgot. Man I shoulda called and reminded him about it but whatever. The family history specialists wife is not a member, so we gave her a Book of Mormon and she is reading it with the granddaughter to help the english! We hope to be able to teach her and get her to church very soon.

We also had a Nigerian brother come to church, Sinclair (yes like the green gasoline dinosaur). He said that he had come many times but this time he said, "I wrote down a lot of questions for you, can you come this week?" So hopefully we can get him down this road as well.

Things keep moving on small small. All of our district leaders are new and are babies in the way of the District Leader, but are learning. Things like polygamist relationships, law of chastity concerns, family concerns keep popping up the week of the baptisms. This means that the missionaries need to get in there and know their people a little more. They teach them well but they sometimes do not know them well enough to find out about some of their issues that will come up in the baptism interviews. Man! Also some are hesitant to extend baptismal dates early as we were instructed by President Smith. We are trying our best to teach them and they are learning.

Glad to hear that Britt's play set is awesome. I saw the photos. Way to go dad. Don't want any fiddlers going tatsup (spits over shoulder) and fall of a roof. That is a good set. Britt has a gift and is a good director.

Also dave looks like a good cat in the hat. He doesn't even have to act to play that part. Dave just be yourself. It'll be a good show.

Also Ben is looking pretty cool at the new City Center Bandstand. I've decided to start a band with him. Don't know exactly what it'll be but it'll be cool. Well anywho I hope all goes well with Synthesis.

Man I have a good testimony of prayer. This week we really were struggling with failure after failure and we prayed to have help and for people to come to church. I think from our past couple weeks of hard work, they finally came through this week. Heavenly Father is there and is listening. He loves us and cares for us!

Anywho our land lady is mad at us. The water has been off and we forgot to lock up our polytank water reserve and they attached a hose to it and started using it. We told the woman that we have to get authorization before anyone else uses the polytank. This is what caused a lot of the Elder Keeng and Elder Omale problems. So she got all angry and stuff. She threatened to take our ceiling fan and she took some chairs etc. She then sent people to inspect our apartment to make sure it was clean and stuff then complained that we didn't ever dust our screens etc. She is just trying to find something wrong that we are doing so she can complain. SO therefore last night I stayed up and cleaned the screens and now we are buying flowers and are going to plant them in the front porch area. Go ahead and complain, what are you going to say?

"They planted pretty looking flowers and have a clean house, they are quiet except when to listening to mild church choir music and are well mannered and are never home and are well groomed. How dare they!"

Well anywho we will see how it goes. Brings the commandment, "love thy neighbor" to a new level and view haha. We will see what we can do.

Anywho I love you all and hope you have a good week. Sorry for your friend passing away mom. I have dealt with a lot of death here and it is hard, however it isn't as hard for us latter day saints. We know the doctrine and the plan, and how comforting that plan is. Also we have the Holy Ghost who will comfort us during these times.

Man Tyler is engaged. Figures. I don't know the girl. Sweet last name though. She looks cool. That was quick, when did he get home? Well anywho good for him. I guess the Lords plan of family is more important than 'flapjack pack and basketball' haha. I'm sure we will make friends with his wife and we'll shoot some hoops.

Well family, love you. Keep up the good work and stay busy!

Gotta run to split with some District Leaders!

Elder Bills