HELLO MY FAMILY!
So this week I think that I'll start of with some transcriptions of my journal. Cool?
We are teaching a man and his son and gave them a baptismal date, they are Samuel and Nathaniel.
Oct 27, 2010 (or 27 Oct. 2010 as they do here)
Today we asked Samuel and his son Nathaniel if they prayed about the Book of Mormon, if it was true or not. They both said that they had read and prayed.
Nathaniel said, excitedly with a raised hand like a school boy who knows the answer and is dying to share it, that he received an answer. I inquired. He said that he had a dream about it. Usually with dreams I am hesitant because I have heard some really weird dreams that are kinda hmm not inspired by the Holy Ghost but rather inspired by something else. I inquired about his dream. He said that he saw a man dressed in a white robe who came up to him and told him that the Book of Mormon is true. He then said that the man was having a beard and white hair that was long in the back. I then showed him the painting of Jesus visiting the Nephites. He said that the man looked like Him except that the man was having white hair. After all of these types of experiences I now know what Moroni was talking about, if you read ponder and pray then you will know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true. If we become like a little child then all will be well.
His Father Samuel said that a small voice told him, as he was pondering about what he read in 2 Nephi 31, that he needs to repent and be baptized. He knows it is true as well. What a great and sincere experience. These are 2 great people.
Oct 31, 2010
Well this week was pretty great, we had a great baptism. We baptized Elizabeth and her daughter Kristy. This indeed was a great and long awaited day. We started teaching Elizabeth a long time ago, in fact Elder Yahaya and Elder Moa contacted her way back in May. We tried baptizing her before but she was not ready then, her family was going through some things and she was feeling some persecution because of joining the church that she was not yet strong enough to face. If we baptized her then, we might not have been able to bring her daughter into the gospel. Elizabeth had come to the church before only to have enough courage to walk up to the front gates, not come inside. She came twice and stood at the gates and waiting to come inside but unable to because of her fears. If only I would have been there or known I would have sprinted out there and stretched out a welcoming hand and smile, a hand and smile that dispels fear, doubt and insignificance, and guided her inside, however I wasn't there yet. I wonder how many times in life someone has needed a welcoming hand and I didn't recognize or wasn't watching out for those people. How many times I have been too busy worrying about ME, MYSELF, MY problems and left people afraid and standing at the gates? I pray that I and we all will watch out for those people and lend that hand and smile and guide them into where they need and long to be.
I contacted Elizabeth in passing again and invited her to church. She accepted to my surprise, I had invited her multiple times after we stopped teaching her and she always declined. She came with her daughters this time. At the baptism Sunday, Elizabeth was baptized first. I got a sister to call her out of the dressing room quickly before she even dried off so she could witness her daughter being baptized. There is no ledge really to watch so i escorted her onto the steps so she could watch from there. It was a great moment she will never forget, seeing her young 8 year old daughter being baptized, a daughter who is following your righteous example. It couldn't have been any better.
The next day Elizabeth and her daughters showed up wearing matching red and black. They were looking so happy and hmm different. They looked very heaven-like and joyful. Holy would be a good word. The Holy Ghost whispered to me that if I continue to teach Elizabeth and her daughter all of the lessons again and about the temple, then they would not fall away. It was a great day.
Also a man named Adams W. was baptized on Saturday. He is Elder Zadi and Elder Collings candidate. I went on splits to teach him and he really didn't seem too serious. He was asking weird, unimportant and unnecessary questions. I was focusing on teaching his friend who was sitting next to him who seemed more likely to progress to me. We challenged them to read the Book of Mormon. Bro Adams W. read up to something crazy like the 17th chapter of Nephi in 2 days. He then said that he would come to church to see if it was okay before he would bring his family. He came and he thought it was the best thing ever. He somehow obtained a gospel principles manual, I have no idea how, and 'feasted upon it' as the scriptures would say. He is proof of receiving revelation through the Book of Mormon and receiving revelation through church attendance. He then brought his daughters to church and is working on the rest of his family.
Bro Adams W. is a tailor and doesn't have much money. He came to church all sweaty, in his red checkered shirt he wears every week, and I didn't think much of it. I am always sweaty. However it turns out that he lives all the way in Djanman, miles away, and he walks 2 hours to church because he doesn't have enough to pay for a tro-tro. Not once has he complained about transportation problems, not one word. He has great faith. While interviewing him I noticed what I can only describe as a broken heart and contrite spirit. He qualified for baptism.
At the baptism he brought his wife and youngest daughter to watch. His wife is hesitant of joining the church because of the English, but we will keep trying. After Adams was baptized, I went into the room where we keep the towels and Adams was in there tying his shoes. He stood up and said, "Elder Bills. Now I am finally free. I am free! I am free!" with tears rolling down his face. He truly understood the importance of the baptismal ordinance and what had just happened.
The following day, (today), I was called by the bishop to confirm him a member of the church. He was very honored to be a member of the church and looked proud, in a humble and good way. You know that good proud, well he was that. The confirmation and blessing felt right. It stated that he would be a shining example to his family and many people would join the church because of that example. It also stated that not only would he be blessed by the decision he had made but also his family, his current grandchildren and also his grandchildren that had not yet come to earth would also be eternally grateful because of his decision to be baptized and be a member of Christ's true church.
Bro Adams has already started sharing the gospel with the people in his area. He was calling us his 'brothers in Christ' and the church 'his church' before he was even a member. He now has the Aaronic priesthood.
I am so glad to know this great man. It was a great week.
Well that is it for the journal writings. I sent you guys some cool pictures you can look at.
HOLY PACKAGES BATMAN!!! Thanks guys so much for all of that. We already started listening to the conference mp3's and are loving it. We get to watch some of conference on Sunday. It'll be cool...if the power does not go out like it usually does. Your mp3's though will do the trick. Indeed I am the first person in Ghana to have the mp3's of conference. You rock mom. I don't know how you have the strength to do what you do. You are creative as poo! I understand your humor, so does Elder Collings who worked for SAS computer support at BYU. He thoroughly enjoyed your CEO little diddle. He laughed for about an hour about your joke about Linux passwords. He doesn't understand all your little weirdy jokes though. Well I hope that you are all doing good. Thanks for the bike gloves and dad glasses, you buncha stinkers. I especially loved the Carrie Underwood T-shirt. How did you get that? Musta been a process. Thanks for doing all that you do. You are the best buncha roadies ever. Go team go!
Well good job at the BYU dance, the kids look like they are having fun and they are liking dad. Mom is the helper off in the shadows. See elder Hollands talk about helpers from last conference. Mom is that helper. Keep it up.
Dad is looking great and happy. Keep up the good work team.
I gotta go, enjoy the pictures. Love you.
Oh I'll 'enjoy' the rice krispie cake you guys sent (again you rock) this Sunday. Thanks for being my family.
I loved grandma's card. Ooooh so "Canterbury Heights" is now doing a mail-able flat card to prevent from being destroyed in the mail. Thanks grandma. You rock! Best family ever.
Elder Bills
I found some marhsmellows made by Kraft... Yes the same Kraft that makes mac & cheese and used to support cigarettes...broad company. They were tropically flavored, some were kiwi, orange etc. Anywho we toasted up these babies and shoved them on these Asian biscuit cookies of chocolate fudgie goodness.
Nummers! These be bettear than me mum's taters. We took a wee break at night time to enjoy some treats, after this we headed back to the shire. (see frodo baggins ear)
Elder Cobbinah, my companion, cooking up his first roasted marshmallows.
Elder Zadi enjoying his first smore. He really dug it.
Elder Collings got some goodies from home for his halloween package. Mega package. He was really happy, especially about the pop tarts.
HOLy PACKAGES BATMAN!
Both 2 of the halloween packages and the 2 birthday packages hit at one time.
I was, am, really really happy. I can't believe you guys got me into the Carrie Underwood fanclub. Coolest shirt ever. I agree with the photoshopped font little accent vine deelies. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Thanks for the dad glasses. I'll wear them in his honor, not around much because those are a little too cool and USA! for proselyting. I'll wear them with him biking around in matching spandex yellow bike gear at home if my Donny transfiguration continues haha.
Elder Collings and my halloween stash. I did some trick or treating with him. I exchanged 2 bags of m&m's for a poptart. Everyone in the apartment is enjoying the goodies, thanks a lot!
The toilet bowl perfume containers saved the day. The font was filling too slow and wouldn't be ready in time. So I said a prayer and asked for help and asked what I should do and then we found these bad boys. I knew my prayer was answered. We filled the baptismal font using these containers.
The moment I saw this bright red container and read "disinfectant toilet perfume" I knew my prayer was answered haha. 1 Nephi 3:7. His ways are not always our ways but He does provide a way, sometimes He is humorous about it.
Here is (from left the right), Elder Cobbinah, Priscilla (bro Adams wife), his little girl Rose, Elizabeth, her little daughters Jennifer and Christiana AKA Kristy, then there is me. It was a sweet baptism.
Funny that I am the tallest one there at 5 foot 9, I felt at home.
This is our ward clerk Bro Asante. He is a great help to us. Great ward clerk. There is a special place in heaven for ward clerks and the hard work that they do. He is the first one there at church and the last to leave. He is going on his mission to Nigeria this month. Many will join the church because he is just so nice and cool.
Here is little Christiana, Elizabeths daughter, being goofy. She thinks I am a psychopath I'm pretty sure. She was hiding behind the curtain thingie and I finally got a picture of her. She is great.
Loved the "Guac On" apron, made by mom. Best thing ever! I laughed so hard. I knew the moment I saw it that mom did it. Nobody respects the avocado as much as we do haha. Hah and yes that is a picture of Hermione Granger from Harry Potter on my wall, it says "endure to the end" There are still 2 Harry Potter movies that I will need to watch when I get home dontcha know? Expecto patronum!