Monday, October 11, 2010

Hello my people!

First off all I am so proud of Britts funny story. This brings me much joy. Even Britt's funny story followed up with a mighty oak forehead picture just makes me extremely proud. I love my funny and foreheady sister. (Bonks massive foreheads together) All I can say Britt is "Akwaaba!" (welcome to becoming dad)

Don't feel too bad Britt, I actually caught myself yelling "good night nurse!" like dad when we had to wait for the traffic when crossing the street haha.

So this week we we had 5 people come to church!

It was really cool to have them come. Elder Zadi and Elder Collins had 7 people at church. This makes our district at 12! This has never happened. We had more people at church than anyone in the zone this week. CRAZY! We were all giddy, in fact I still am giddy (does little jig)

We had Bea A.,  Eliza, Edo, Bea B. and Beverly come. Yeah new names huh? Sad thing is that Heston has disappeared, hopefully we will find him soon.

We first visited Bea A. at her house and she committed to come to church. She also wanted to share the gospel with her friends where she works so she invited us over there. She works at a rock quary and breaks the rocks and sells them, shes got tough hands and feet. We biked all the way over there (30 min bike ride up mountains muahaha!) and then found her. It was a sweet and pretty looking place with purple granite stone and stuff. She was so happy that we came and we met some of her rock quarry friends and they were all happy as well. Bea A. is like the person who all the rock quarry friends envy. She is like a geneva steel hard worker, everyone kinda looks up to her. She was so excited to come back to church that she left her house at 6:30 and got to church by 7 because she didn't want to be late for the sacrament. She came so early that we taught her a lesson and then had her go to the Odorkor ward who starts at 8 vs us who start at 10. She is sweet. Remember she is the mother of Henry, the deaf boy, and Charles, the boy who's dad isn't allowing him to get baptized. Hopefully she will be the example for her family and he rest will come.

Eliza is a former investigator who I came across again and invited to church. She has come for the past 2 weeks. She has had some struggles in her life but we put a plan together on how to face some of her struggles. She doesn't commit to do it very firmly but she ends up doing what is right in the end. She is great. She has 2 little girls who kinda think I'm a weirdo haha, they give me the 'weirdo confused' look.

Edo is the friend of Eliza who keeps on coming. He isn't accepting a baptismal date but keeps coming. Hopefully we can help him understand. It is hard to teach him because his reading comprehension is small and he can't handle too much but we will keep on trying.

Bea B. is a woman who stays right next door to our favorite members, Bro Seth and Sister Selina. Elder Cobbinah contacted her while we were there teaching bro Seth's sister. Bea B. is 22, married (correctly yay!) and has a brand new baby boy. We taught her about Joseph Smith and Jesus Church in primitive times. We then taught her about the Holy Ghost and how he makes us feel. She replied, "so is that what this feeling inside is?" We explained lovingly "yes!" and we gave her a baptismal date during her first lesson. She said that she couldn't come to church on Sunday because her husband needed her to do something at his church but next Sunday she would come.

I called her and reminded her of her commitment, (this was at the top of this freaking huge mountain next to the rock quarry) and she said that she had to go and give her husbands pastor her husbands tithing, I inquired of the time she was going and she said 12, I said that she could come to sacrament. She then said that she felt like she needed to come to church and that she would pay her husbands tithing thingie on Monday instead. YAHOO!

She came to church with her baby boy strapped to her back, she came along with brother Seth. We talked to her after the whole 3 hour church service and she said that she "was not satisfied. I don't ever want to leave this place. Could you teach me more? I feel good here." (The term - 'not satisfied' - means you are still hungry. Like I feel very satisfied after downing a football sized ball of fufu.)

Anywho we scheduled to see her today with Bro and Sister Seth for a family home evening. We are going to watch "the testaments" because she read the 3 Nephi 11 chapter in the Book of Mormon. The only thing I wish we could do with her is to meet her husband. Her husband is a big time lawyer dude but has been out of town working. One day we will meet him.

We were supposed to interview Setty for her baptism. Setty is the daughter of a member Bro Amp. She has 2 little girls and a stubborn husband. Well he is finally okay with Setty to be a member of the church so we went and did a practice baptismal interview with her. We inquired about the Word of Wisdom commandment and she said she didn't know what that was. I said that there were 4 things we had to stay away from, then she said 'oh yes, alcohol, tobacco, lipton tea and nescafe coffee.' I asked her if she was using any of these and she said she drank tea and coffee. I was so discouraged because I already taught her this commandment. I inquired further, "when was the last time you had tea or coffee." She replied with a delightful answer, "I have not drank any since you taught me 3 months ago." She then said that she had not got sick for the past 3 months and she knows it is because she is keeping that commandment. YAHOO! It felt great I tells ya. It is so good to see people apply what they learn.

Well the power went off last night during this massive rain and thunderstorm. Elder Collings and I were writing our letters to the mission president and we decided to go out on the balcony to write them and watch the rainstorm, plus it ain't so hot (remember no power = no fan). The thunder was coming so I went outside and played AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck' out in the rain just because. Our house also makes some cool wind blowing sounds and it reminded me of a pirate ship, with the wind rain thunder and all. So we made a makeshift helm and I steered the apartment. Sometimes you just gotta dress up like a pirate (insert my baby captain hook picture next to this photo haha).



Well I'm glad all is well at home. Nice movie premier everyone. Looks like ya'll had fun. And NICE JACKET DAD! I approve much. Glad to see you are still biking in tight stuff. I can go bike with you dad when I get home, just remember I'll kick your trash in the hills ;)

Aha I knew it! Bishop Rayburn. He is a great man and is the Bishop type. He is organized and knows how it all works. I hope he keeps his mustache! He was a great ward clerk. He kept Bishop Lott on his feet during the time Bishop Lotts house burned down. Tell Bishop Lott good job and he rocked as a Bishop - Bishop Lott was great. I have looked up to him since I was 12 years old and was playing early morning basketball with him. Instead of swearing he always said a word like 'shananigans!' He also yelled at me to stick onto my opponent like 'fly on poop.' He just yelled 'fly on poop, fly on poop' at me when we played. He did great on getting us all prepared to go on a mission. Tell him great job!!!

Well gotta run my family. The church is true.

I started the Book of Mormon again and it rocks.

Transfers ain't until Wednesday so I'll letcha know what happens. I hope I get to stay here.

'Thars gold in them thar hills!'

Love you all. Keep on quiltin' mom!

Keep up your secret service mom. You rock. I love you.