Monday, November 30, 2009

Hey family!

I just got your thanksgiving package. I quickly went straight for the ziploc bags and shoved all my stuff in them. Ah yes. I opened up a caramel and ate it but then the rest of them promptly turned into sticky wrapper clingers so I had to shove them in a ziploc bag and then put them in the freezer (darn humidity and its candy killing!) I got all of the food! Thanks tons. I especially liked the little hats you made with the footballs (soccer balls) on top. The kids will go nuts over them. I just hope it wont start a revolution like in the movie "the gods must be crazy" haha. I very much liked how you glued little googly eyed turkies onto the jerky bag and ziplocs. It make me snicker. Speaking of snickers! Thanks tons for those. I will cherish them always. Speaking 'cherish them...' just kidding. I'm doing okay there; however Elder Riding said you ain't a true missionary until you have let's say "cherished" something. Dig?

As far as pronunciation here, everything is kinda like whateva. We learn kinda the street Twi. Elder Riding is gettin' rid of some of his stuff so I went through his "introduction to Twi" book today. There is no gender difference in speaking, which makes things a lot easier, unlike those Germans that go as far as giving genders to all objects such as a door being feminine. I'm learning small small, I try to use a new word each day. I usually butcher it and everyone looks deeply confused but whateva. I'm trying. I'm getting ready for when they send me to somewhere north and nobody speaks english. Elder Riding said that when he went up north into other regions, that his native companion did most of the teaching because nobody speaks the English. I bought one of those picture book thingies and am going to start using that soon. Elder Riding uses them a lot and it works. He is a good missionary and has worked his can off. He is a great friend.
Glad ya'lls thanksgiving was good. Sounds like you all had a crazy week with ribs popping out of spines, oil leaking heaters, school plays, former rockette kicking children, mom wearing a cone of shame on her head during church to teach a principle (for some reason this doesn't suprise me haha. Only you would bring a dog cone thingie and wear it around your neck because the Spirit told you to :) ) haggis eating/puking at Jills, writing scripts for stuff. Man my family is busy. I guess that is why the Utah state is a bee. Always busily buzzing (punches self in face for cheesy analogy, takes own lunch money, gives self a wedgie) I'm glad you all had a great time.

I caught a cold on thanksgiving... I did enjoy all your apple cider you sent me. Oh man it was great. It helped out tons. We were invited over to an investigators house, who came to church!!! and she made us some yam fu fu (no plantaine, I like it better) with some lye soup. AH man my nose was running like crazy because everything here is liquid lava spicy hot and about 1000 degrees and there are no spoons haha. Luckily here eating is not a time of chatting or anything. They give you your food then leave you alone to "chop." She heard me blowing an ocean load into my handkerchief (icky!) and she happened to have a surplus of tissue boxes in her house and gave me a whole box. YES! I felt so good after having my nose cleared out because of the stew and then finished it off with a whole big ol box of juice and some of your cider. It was nice. My companion (elder yao, we were on splitz. HE was interviewing our 4 baptismal candidates for this SATURDAY!!!) chopped me up an orange and gave me some bread. They are so kind. It is nice being on a mission where everyone is self reliant and can serve others. I felt so blessed for having such good Elder companions and for the kindness of our new investigator who fed us. The Lord watches over us and it is these tiny things that really help out.

Thanks for your message mom from your talk. I dig. I have actually been feeling about focusing on why our church is different than other churches. The difference is that we are built on the foundation of revelation from Apostles and Prophets. FOUNDATION is a biggie. I know that if we follow the modern day prophets' teachings then we will be okay. We need to follow the prophet!

Oh I just got a big ol' brick size of you letters. My favorite is the one with the silverware and the shifty eyes. I don't know how I feel about that silverware... I want the old garbage grinded ones back ( I want my dirt back!) We will see though. Nice to see you are doing well eating pumpkin pie. Ah man this is when they should have lickable and tastable photos. Yum!

Oh there are tons of cool stories out here, not enough time to write them all but here is one that is cool. We were teaching this girl Nelly and she understands much. We told her about the foundation of prophets, God is our father, Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon & praying to know all in one lesson. That never happens. Then we followed up later that week and asked if she received an answer to if it all was true. She said "I prayed and it was confirmed." We asked her how. She said, "I heard a voice that told me it was right." YAHOO! We are now trying to get her mom involved. The churches here do a good job of getting people involved in callings so it is hard for people to leave their churches and come to the LDS church. Most of our investigators go to the morning service of their church and then come to ours by 10 am. She knows it is true but is stuck with that whole logistical stuff. I was so happy that she received such a solid confirmation. Some people are very prepared.

Oh I stopped by Michaels (mentour ghana winner for singing) and played him happy birthday on the guitar. One of his friends filmed it on his phone and it is probably up on youtube somewheres.

Here is a thought for Mark Alger. My mission president, Prez Smith, said "The clearer the statement, the easier the holy ghost can carry that statement into the hearts of men." AhHA! So think of that about repertoire and especially soloing. I also gave a talk this week during zone interviews about using the simple Christmas hymns and telling the Christmas story from the simple Book of Mormon (Alma 7) and then the Holy Ghost will touch the people's hearts and let us in to teach them. Also for our current investigators, members etc. we should use the simple hymns and book of mormon to create an atmosphere where the Holy Ghost can be there and they will accept the gospel or further the work.

Well I love you all. The work is going strong. Thanks for your brick sized amount of letter and packages. I heard another package just got here. I will pick it up at Christmas conference. Keep on sending your emails and things. They make me giggle and my companions like to hear about my quirky family. They laugh at your stories. Thanks for your prayers and kind words.

Well I'm off to find a bubu (traditional muslim lookin dress thingie) for Jeff Coffin and to teach the word to my people.

p.s. Uncle Davey
YA can't ya wont andja DONT STOP!

ppss Bro in law Dave Smith
Stop popping your ribs out of your spine haha. Drink more coke! (it is the cure-all)
Oh also you have passed on the muscle cramping to me. Man at night time i flop around like a fish because of a calf cramp. I was like "what is happening!! AHH" I sympathize for your pool cramping haha. Cya tin man.

Love you all.
GO BYU! Take grandpa bob out to spaghetti factory or village inn for me and celebrate!