Monday, July 11, 2011

Yo My Family!

So this week was quite eventful. Man Ghana really rocks. We contacted some Canadians visiting the 'mother land' and some other foreigners and man it isn't the same. We started talking with the Canadians in Twi thinking they were just normal Ghanians and they couldn't speak it. SHAME! haha. They couldn't even understand our english as we use terms like, "surname" instead of "last name" and we say "where from you?" and stuff. Our english is Africanized and we can't really talk with foreigners too much. We have our own mission pigeon language which is like US english and Ghana english mixed with Nigerian talk. It is funny.
The Canadians were afraid of us and took the pamphlets and ran away trying to avoid us haha. But the normal Ghanians will let us talk with them and eat with them etc. They kinda recognize us as one of them. They really are my people. They listen to the Holy Ghost and are more willing to listen and feel what is right. The Holy Ghost is here.

We had a baptism on Saturday. Ricky (name changed) was baptized, his uncle/legal guardian was present along with his cousins who he stays with. Ricky is a very good boy. He is 14 and is going to school around Gbawe, my old area. He likes the gospel and really enjoys learning about the commandments. He will be a good priesthood holder.
His cousin John (name changed) was assigned to give a talk at the baptism and showed us the rough draft he was working on. However he showed up not wearing a white shirt and tie, but was in a nice polo shirt. The whole family was dressed like that. In our ward they are very big about dressing in white shirts and ties. Our bishop was not there but our Ward Mission Leader said that bishop would not have allowed him to give the talk because of his dress. He asked me to give the talk instead.
Me, of course reading the handbook online during my p-day free time sometimes

(see http://lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings/20.4?lang=eng#204), knowing that the white shirt is suggested but not mandatory tried to persuade them otherwise however they didn't listen as they wanted to do what they thought the bishop wanted if he were there. I knew that it was important for John to participate in a family members baptism and knew that the young man who prepared the talk was preparing to go on a mission and worked hard on his talk. The scripture, "aiming beyond the mark" came to mind. The mark is Christ, therefore I took John into the bathroom and gave him my white shirt and tie and I wore his polo shirt with my name tag on it. That way he could participate in this sacred ordinance and help his cousin endure to the end. Everyone was somehow touched and noticed that it was right. He gave a great talk and was happy.

I remember that in general conference Elder Packer gave a talk about fathers participating in priesthood ordinances and how it is their right to do so. Sometimes a 'military commission' is needed as he said. Due to this talk, Grandpa Bob ordained Dad a high priest. This is right. I felt the same way about the baptism. Family should participate. Hopefully I didn't offend anybody but I knew from the handbook is was ok so did what I knew was right. I took my shirt and put it back on afterward and gave him back his polo shirt.

We had a lot of people come to church again. We were able to get a new lady named Jane (name changed). Her husband is a member. He was baptized in Oregon. He has dred locks and talks like a gangster. He has been not active for about 5 years. He loves the missionaries. He stopped because he got a job on Sundays and he hadn't been active since then. He is back here with his wife and they are having some struggles, since it is the first time they have really been living together since the marriage. They got married traditionally when he was in US. You don't have to be present for your own marriage/wedding...Don't ask me why. Anywho she came. She went to the wrong places in tro-tros. It took her 2 hours to get there but we found her and she came. We brought sister Mary (name changed) to her house and they made friends. They are happy. Jane kinda dresses hmmm not appropriate all the time. She had some depression and drinking problems. She even wanted to run away to Russia and stuff. She asked us about what to do. We just told her to listen to what the Holy Ghost tells you to do, pray with your husband at night and then we sang 'be still my soul' and gave her a priesthood blessing. She is happy and recognizes the good feelings that come from the gospel.

We have had a man named Prince (name changed) come to church for about 7 times. He has been a member of many many churches, even Islam. He comes from a Royal Family, his dad is a King for an area. He wrote up reasons for why the churches he is attending are wrong. He said he likes the church and will be a member once he studies it out a little more. He reads a lot. We gave him to Book of Mormon and he is reading it. He said he is confused on which church is right. He said that he has narrowed it down to LDS or Jehovah's Witness because they are the only ones he has seen who are spreading the gospel through missionaries as the bible commands. One of Prince's favorite scriptures in Mark 7:14 "whoever has ears, let him hear." He is meeting with the Jehovahs Witness' missionaries this week. I told him to look up that scripture in their bible, because it is missing haha. I didn't tell him it was missing but told him it will help him in his search for the 'fullness' of the gospel. He soon should be baptized. Pray for him to receive an answer and to read the Book of Mormon.

We went to Hannah's (name changed) house this week and taught her. We taught her too much and we think we scared her. She didn't understand the Word of Wisdom and stuff. We also asked her about the law of Chastity and stuff. We think it was too much, too soon. She still is cool but she didn't commit to come to church again this week. We were devastated. Man we assumed she was coming as she knows the Book is true but she said she wasn't coming this week. Man I swear it was one of the most crappy feelings in my life. Anywho hopefully this week we will work with her. We had sister Mills call her and talk to her just to be friends. We are trying to do what is right but oh well. Pray for her too.

We went to the art market today to get you guys some stuff. I spent some cedis on some paintings, 3 carvings and some fabric you guys can go nuts with. I don't wanna buy a lot of stuff but I got 2 paintings of mom's with babies strapped to their backs. I hate those markets because they swarm you. You end up with a buncha crap you don't want and no money left over haha. I hate buying stuff because I feel like a tourist, those visitors who are too busy and not warm and friendly like those we met of late.
We haggled down a painting for elder Boyd down from 250 Cedis down to 50 haha. I'll snap a photo of it and you can print it at home.
If I don't remember to get everyone something, don't be offended. Luckily you guys are all cool and don't really need much. I'm focusing on the work.

Well this week has been a busy week. We will baptize Mary (name changed) very soon. Bishop is being all wise and yoda like and wants to make sure the husband who lives far away is on board for the baptism so he won't eventually have her stop the church. Technically we coulda have baptized her but we want to keep the bishops happy and stuff, the bishop recognizes we are ansie pantsie so he is traveling to meet the husband this week.
Man postponing baptisms is a sketchy thing. We prefer to baptize them once they feel it is right and they are worthy!

Well anywho I figured out how to do the zone's weekly reports in a timely and super effective manner! Man I made assignments and saw the trends and talked about the people and concerns and everything. Funny thing is that I go home next transfer and then I am released. The church runs this way. Once you get the hang of it, you are released. The callings are to help the person become the person, not actually be the person for a long time. You have all of eternity to 'be' the person. Now is the time to 'prepare to meet God.' Mission has taught me a lot. Man it is a great time. Nothing is better. There is no better work. Learning to love someone else really helps you in life.

Man cool beans about the provo gigs. Speaking of gigs, grandpa bob would love nothing more than to get a small jazz combo together and to sing some things like 'little brown jug.' Grandpa Dad can play the bass, I can cover the chords and we can find the rest. No practicing needed! I dunno what do you think?

Tell dad to get better soon. I could feel somehow that he was in pain.

Well anywho I hope all is well. Sorry you are fixing bugs.
Thanks for fixing up my old computer for school. Man Ghana is getting all these big flat touch phones and big fancy cars too. I'm out dated as I don't know what they are. All the missionaries are talking about movies and scandals I have never heard about haha.

Well I gotta run back to our apartment and go prepare for the week. I love all of you guys!

your son
Elder Bills

Sweet is the work!

Pigs on a beach

grandma patsy will like this sunburnt beach piggie.

Elder Boyd blows a bubble for the baby

our relief society teachers little daughter




she was caning elder Boyd


she is pleased with herself.

We borrowed our relief society presidents Waffle maker!
I made it with strawberry milk powder. I saved the batter and so I just cook them up in the morning.





Bad Monkey!