Word!
(have you heard the word is love, its so fine, its sunshine- the beatles)
Hey my 5 foot high people, and big Dave. So this week was pretty cool, as all weeks are.
Before I start all I have to say is FRIED TWINKIES! Man nothing says Orem Summerfest like Fried Twinkies.
3 things to describe the Orem Summerfest
1. Too many small girls in onezees dancing and singing to karoke music
2. Sweet fried food!
3. Stay far away from the carnival rides. Portable and thrill ride don't go well together.
Well we took a taxi to Djanman to meet George (a recent convert). I called George for days and he wasn't picking up but I felt strongly that we should visit him. So we took a ride over to his house around 6:30, remember the sun goes down by 6:30 and started up the mountain (bleets) to his house. While we were there we met his mom and she sat us down and she told us something along the lines of "my mother, brother and other members of my family died awhile ago. I'm taking care of my, recently deceased, brothers little child because the mother abandoned him. They didn't never went to church and I'm afraid for them. What can I do to help them, even though they are dead?"
We then taught the plan of salvation and baptisms for the dead. She said that she wants to do it for them. We then taught her that she herself needs to join the church and be baptized as well. She accepted. We will organize to have her son baptize her. She isn't a confident reader but she tries hard and she is doing great. She can read the book of Mormon for herself and she actually read the place we assigned her. YAHOO!!!
THEN one day later, when we were teaching her some more stuff, her husband came and joined us. He read that pamphlet that I gave to him awhile ago. We then invited him to be baptized and he accepted as well. George also has a little brother named Power who we will also baptize. I was talking to the dad after we were done teaching him and he said that he was a singer at a hotel for a job. I was thinking this African traditional music stuff but he said he sang the standards. He then opened up his wardrobe and showed me a stack of old records with billy holiday, nat king cole etc with songs like "it's only a paper moon" and "how high the moon." How the freak did I meet the only person within Accra who listens to and sings american jazz standards? It was one of those "wow, I was supposed to meet you" moments. It is cool to see how God uses what He has in His own special way. I really am supposed to be here haha. The church is true. We then joked about how this stupid music is taking over the hotels, weddings, parties etc. There is a popular song here that is some nigerian rap nonsense that people like that demeans women and is just like a looped rhythm section over and over (as most local music is). Someone requested him to sing it and he said "are you crazy?" I understand him, it was funny. Can't explain. Oh well.
Anywho we gave out a couple more baptismal dates. One to this guy named Phillip. Phillip is 19 and he is the friend of one of our former investigators named Joe. Joe told us that he prayed and knows that it is true but he can't leave his church because he is the organ player. We then taught him about getting paid for doing church service and how it is against the commandments and then the "I will go and do" scripture etc. One day when he is older, he will come. He told his friend Phillip about us and I gave him the Book of Mormon and viola, he read it. After he read it, HE asked US if he could be baptized. The book of Mormon is the best conversion tool.
We are going to baptize Comfort this Saturday. I had Elder Hortin interview her, my zone leader. We only have one zone leader right now because the other one is in prison on a false accusation. (see later on for more details) Comfort is excited and determined. She was sick the day she was supposed to be interviewed but I called her and she got up and came in the rain, with her sickness to be interviewed. She isn't a "fair weathered Mormon" but she really is dedicated and is awesome.
I did my first baptismal interviews yesterday. I had to do 3 of em. They took awhile because I had to teach them what God looks like, they didn't know much about Heavenly Father. From childhood, everyone here is taught in school that God is a Spirit and nobody has ever seen God. I then read the 27th verse from Genesis from the beginning of Bible with them and they go, "WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME!!!???" It is cool to see. The Spirit was there and it was cool. I had people guard the doors "spread eagle" as president Smith told us to do, still one person managed to pry past the door guard and disturb the interview. People just enter bishops offices all the time without knocking. It really is not right, so I make sure that my companion or the missionaries who's candidate is being interviewed are sitting outside in front of the door. That way I can hand off the candidate into the arms of the missionaries and greet them and congratulate them and let the candidate see how happy we are.
Anywho all is well...except for our 2 missionaries in prison. An Elder from Botswana and an Elder from Nigeria were arrested 8 days ago. Nobody has told us anything about why or whatever.
We have been praying a lot for them and a thought and scripture book of mormon story came to my mind as I was freaking upset about this. It was the story of Alma and Amulek being thrown in prison and having to watch all of their recent converts be burned along with all the scriptures. Amulek asks why don't they just stretch forth their hands and stop all this. Alma said that he was constrained because the Lord is going to use this as a witness to stand against them at the last day. Amulek then asks if the bad guys were going to burn them as well and Alma says no because their work is not yet finished. This little Holy Ghost prompting gave me assurance that my friend Elder will be alright and the other Elder will be okay too. Just keep them in your prayers. Also keep their families in your prayers.
Don't worry mom. We are safe.
I bought some Dr. Pepper for our brothers in prison. I found some and promptly bought it. When they get out i'll give it to them.
Well all this stuff was weighing on me this week. I was freaked out about the two Elders a lot. Then our power went off for 3 days and all of our groceries and stew for the week went bad, thats why I had to take out some more cash because we had to buy all new food. Then I couldn't sleep because it was hot and I was worried about Elder Keeng, then I finally fell asleep and then I woke up at 1 in the morning because some neighbors were playing music on their freaking huge speakers. It was freaking rattling our windows and the bass was making my heart jump. It was way too loud, especially for 2 am. Well none of us could sleep and they started playing "Sean Paul" really loud with bad lyrics. I put some more clothes on to see who was 'causing such a racket, darn whipper snappers.' I followed the sound and it was at some house and they were having a wake for someone. I went to the woman in charge and she said that she was sorry but it was tradition to have their wake from 9pm-5 in the morning. If they were morning, why are they playing Sean Paul? She didn't understand and we were left to go home at 4:30 in the morning having to listen to that bad song again as they were mourning...keeping everyone awake during their wake.
I then realized how much I love noise ordinances back home. Before leaving, I gave my condolences to the man who lost his wife whom they were mourning over. He was sitting in the corner not wanting to be there and was falling asleep. Some traditions don't make sense. Just let the guy go home and be with his family. Not having to entertain guests fo 48 hours while people come and boogie while he just lost his wife.
Anywho, I feel a little better now and feel that the Elders will be okay. They've got people working to help them.
I have been thinking lately about my blessing and it says that "I will endear" myself with the people that I teach. I feel like I have been doing that, I just need to work on drawing closer and being kinder to those who are just normal citizens in this different place. Culture is a butt sometimes. Oh well. I'm trying to take the good and leave the bad.
Thanks for all your husky photos. They are funny and they make sense. I like the cool husky photo haha. Reminds me of Elder Zadi a lot. How can you know so much?
You will have to teach me how to make a cool solar cardboard oven. NERD (cough cough). It would be fun to make on a camping trip or something.
Hey so Elder Chamberlain got transferred finally...10 down the street in Tema. Man he can't catch a break. He is a good guy. I will always remember him.
Thanks for your letters you are sending. I devoured your instant mashed potatoes! Yum. I also devoured your hershey bars and gave one to elder Boyd. He came over and delivered us another fan. He has had the runny tummy since he has been here for 7 months so I gave him a hershey bar. Office elder needs chocolate so I gave one chocolatey goodness bar away.
Tell Britt happy burfday. I will drink many dr.peppers in your honor. You ol' coot!
Well I love you all lots. I gotta run.
Love you dad, happy fathers day. THe bishop asked me to give a thought from the book of mormon during our PEC meeting and I opened to 3rd nephi 18 and read the place where it says "pray in your families" and then told the story how you would always pray in our rooms while we were sleeping, or wake us up so we could say a prayer and how you made sure we always had a family prayer before we went to sleep. The bishop then smiled and said that on mothers day I shared a scripture about how mom taught me all the gospel concepts to me and that is why I know them kinda the whole, "they did not doubt because our mothers knew it" and then on fathers day I shared about how dad always made sure that we prayed as a family. He knows that I am here because of my mom and dad. Thanks for being good parents. Keep it up!
Well gotta run and go baptize people!
Love you. Talk to ya'll later!
I'll letcha know about our elders in prison in the next email. Hopefully they will be out by then. Pray for them.
Love you!
The chained monkey. I wanted to release the monkey back into the hmm wild?...except this is the city, so...um streets where it could roam around freely and chase and smack chickens, goats, small children who taunt and mock me; but our furry friend has big nasty lion like teeth and he would confuse my liberating efforts with harm. Story of my investisgators too.
Edwinas family.
Emmanuel Kissi and his wife. He wrote that 'walking in the sand' book that mom read. He is in Odokor ward, just down the street. He invited us over to eat. He is the stake patriarch. Good guy.
He is wise, like Yoda.
Elder boyd in the office having to paste stuff, with that stupid paste glue in a jar.
I told him that he looked like a kid in the corner with the dunce cap on, he said that he felt that way. haha.
My companion and I. Go show-ties!
photo mom sent of Elder Bills and Elder Boberah if they were a husky team. (You know the whole husky sled team-work thing.)
photo mom sent of more huskies. The cool one is Elder Zadi...haha.