Akwaaba my people.
So this week was pretty good with not having to eat any goat privates. 2 thumbs way up!
There was a lot of stuff going down this week football wise. Ghana got into the 'cup of nations' finals. They won the semi finals (picture attached) Elder Holt grabbed his flag and started riding around outside our investigators house with everyone celebrating and stuff. It was fun.
During football games it is impossible to teach or contact anyone. The streets are deserted and nobody will answer the door or mind you because the game is on. We usually go over to an investigators house and watch the game and yell at the tv with them, then try to sneak in a gospel principle at the end or just build that relationship with us so they will open up. Man football (soccer) players are ninny namby pambies. They fall down and act hurt on purpose even when nothing really happened, aka 'flopping'. It bugs me so bad. I'm used to the whole 'break your foot but don't fall down until after you have finished the play'. These guys just fall down during play and yell and grab their ankle and then after someone pays attention to them they get up from their little temper tantrum and start playing again like normal. It is like dishonest in so many ways, but that is the way they do it. It gets me so gursh darn frustramagated, i'm not mad but just (Eeeee, starting from a really low pitch to a really high pitch) frustarted. (teasing dad.) ANYWAYS they lost the big game against Egypt. The whole country of Ghana was pretty silent. President told us to be inside during the game and not go back out for the rest of the night because if Ghana wins football, then people get all crazy and drive stupid and are dumb. Like there is always broken glass car windshields and headlights the next morning after a Ghanian football victory. We lost so no worries.
Oh here is another President Smith story. I'm studying in the dining room when I hear Elder Yao go "Holy Cow! President and Sis Smith are coming over right now!" So we then proceeded to sweep the floor and try to straighten up everything and get it ready for inspection. We mostly just ran around in circles, me with a bag full of pure water sachets and elder yao with a dustpan and Elder Holt with a mop and Elder Boyd standing there looking confused because he is new haha. We were almost ready when they knocked on the door and Elder Holt answered it kinda hiding behind the door, his pants not even zipped up yet. I came into the room tucking in my shirt and in the middle of tying my tie. President Smith gives Elder Holt a big hug then proceeds to me and goes, "Elder! Why are you not dressed yet?" I was debating in my brain whether to say, "Sir it is because I am scum sir and it won't happen again SIR!" or to just drop and give him 20. Luckily I just stood there looking confused with that bugs bunny vs elmer fudd ebadaebada (rubbing your finger over your lips thingie) look. He said that we should study and plan while wearing ironed shirts and with ties and stuff. He then had me run through our numbers on the board and explain every person and junk, kinda like a pop quiz.
Well transfers are this Wednesday and everyone says that I'll probably be leaving. The other Elders have calculated when people will leave and stuff usually. Well we will see. They just announce that they are splitting my area boundaries and stuff and a bunch of exciting missionary stuff is gonna happen. I'll letcha know what happens next email. I could stay for longer or go, whatever. I don't care really, I'll just work wherever they put me.
Ah man I ran into a guy that looked like Doc from back to the future, except he was scottish. It was weird! I just gave him the hello wave and then he stopped us and went "Mormons right?" I said yeah and then he started talking saying "I knew some Mormons once" then a whole buncha other stuff. I didn't understand anything that he said really. He talked very fast english; I haven't heard fast talkin' for awhile, plus it was heavily coated with scottish hullabuloo. We just stood there kinda confused. He then asked us where we were from and I said, "U.S." He said "Ah Americans. Americans are very good people, ya know us scots are ahead of them of course but americans are good people." I can now understand why scots are always made fun of in movies haha. I then panicked and asked him if he has ever heard of the Book of Mormon and offered him one to read and then he said some more scottish jargen something about he has a lot of books to read at home then went off on his way. It was kinda funny. Elder Holt was like, "What the heck did that guy just say?"
TENTHOUSAND GIJAWATTS!!! (gasp) Run for it Marty!
Instead of saying my normal stuff I did, I'll put a few pictures up of some people from around here and tell you a little bit about them.
This is Peter. He was baptized around last Marchish. We visit him a lot, he is learning about the Priesthood. Since I have been here, I have been able to see him pass the sacrament for the first time, bless the sacrament for the first time and say the opening prayer. Each time he was asked to do so he called us over and asked us a bunch of questions. He really wants to do a good job. He is preparing to receive the Melchizdeck priesthood and we are teaching him on how to give a talk. He asked us last week, "so who prepares the talks the people give?" We told him that the speakers themselves do and he kinda freaked out haha. He will do well. His conversion story is cool. He never really went to church much. He was one day passing by the chapel where we go at Kaneshi 1st light and he said to himself, "if I ever go to church, it'll be that nice building." That was a long time ago. The Jehovah's Witness cats came over and studied with him and then the LDS missionaries came by. He prayed and asked God if the teachings and Book of Mormon were true and what he should do. He said that while he was sleeping he was told in a dream that it was right and saw that same church building in a dream. The missionaries took him to the church and he was shocked that it was the same church that he told himself that if he'd visit if he would ever start attending a church. Peter has a voice problem so it takes some effort to make out what he is saying but the Spirit is always there whenever we visit him and the Holy Ghost helps us out. It is hard to explain. Peter is a great man. We hope his family will hopefully some day join him.
This guy (on the left) is named Paul, 21 years old. He moved in with a full member family and we are teaching him. He is smart and understands a lot. For instance he understood that the Priesthood was given to the 12 and then 3 of them gave it to Joseph Smith. He understood this with only 1 explanation. Usually we gotta teach and re-teach that the authority comes by laying on of hands etc, but he understands well. He reads the book of mormon chapters we leave with him. He said that when he was praying about the book of mormon and stuff that he felt a swelling within his heart and a good feeling. We said that the Holy Ghost did that. He wants to learn more before he is baptized. He is truly searching and will hopefully be baptised soon. Maybe someday his family (10 people who live in Ho, Ghana) will come into the church too.
This little punks name is Bright. He is Savior's brother and Akwarteys son. He is a funny little kid. He always falls asleep on me during church. I always find him roaming the halls at church and have to wrangle him up and walk him back to primary. I just like this kid, don't know why. He is really dopey and funny.
Here is a picture of Mike and I playing one of his songs. He is a cool guy. We enjoy visiting with him. He is like one of those singers I would be friends with at home. Nice guy. He is a ham for the crowd too. He will do well.
Our district is growing close together. Like we raz each other and harass each other all in good fun. Everyone has been talking at night time which has been good. We were talking out how to deal with being homesick. I haven't been homesick, there ain't enough time. Plus I was sitting around for what seemed like an eternity waiting for that call so I'm all ready to rock. So I don't feel too helpful when it comes to saying something comforting to help out with homesickness. I try to offer some help but it usually comes out lame. I wish I had like a cool touching missionary quote up my sleeve but I always hate those. Like "you miss all the shots you don't take" or something like that they take and slap up on the wall of the byu testing center, but I don't really like those because of the places where I read them. Eg. the testing center, math classroom wall, above the icky drinking fountain etc. What I'd like more is "you miss all the shots you...ah shut up and shoot the dang ball!"
Anyways, whatever I said seemed to help. I don't know how but it did. Another witness that the church is true. God like took my words and must have shifted them into something good that would help.
Speaking of quotes, I do however like that Joseph Smith quote calendar deelie dad gave me. One of them talked about how people will be judged on what they did with the light that they were given. This really helps around here for people who can't read or don't understand the scripture words here. I'm so glad for that doctrine.
I wish I could enjoy the drumming with you. I can't really enjoy the drumming here, if we stay standing too long people run up to us yelling "obroni!" and start naggin us. Plus around here there ain't too much drumming. Think california coast meets goats with lots of nagging.
At the end of my mission I'm thinkin' that i'll just divy out all the stuff I brought with me and shove my suitcase full of drums. Deal?
Well family I'm learning lots out here. Not only gospel doctrine but how to live with people and take care of myself. One thing I am exceptionally good at is haggling with taxi drivers. You gotta get your new york on and treat them like pieces of dirt or you will pay way too much on rides and run out of money. Especially because of the nice clothes and skin color they will charge us too much.
Usual taxi driver scenario: Hey boss I'm going to 1st light. I'll pay you 1.50.
Oh no no make it 3 cedis.
Hey I make this route everyday and we do it for 1.50.
Oh make it 3 cedis. The place you are going is far. You are robbing me.
Hey boss, I'm not new here! Do it for 1.50.
No 3 is my last.
Then I yell "Fine. Go" then give the car a little smack to send him on his way.
Then he drives for a min then stops and lets us in.
Sometimes you gotta be a little butthead so you won't waste the missionary funds.
Well gotta go. It was nice talking to ya'll this week with your letters/emails. I'll letcha know what happens with transfers and all.
Cool the church is true!
p.s. I'll get the floss-o-plenty package on Wed. YAHOO. Thanks tons.
Love you.