Monday, December 21, 2009

Pacho Machay (good morning) or if you are reading this at night, pacho majo.

So this week was kinda tricky. I have been companion-less since Tuesday and will be until Wednesday. It has been difficult because I have been tossed around to different areas going around in 3's. We only got to visit my area a day and a half this week. Yargh! Luckily I was still able to see the people with baptismal dates, get their forms filled out (a hard task when there is no written record of anything anywhere, so we estimate to the best of our abilities ;) and had them interviewed. We also gave out another baptismal date to this man Akoetey Bleboo (Ack-wah-teh Bleh-boo) and his 11 year old son Savior Agbgwonu (AAG-bley-woah-noo). I wanna teach his wife but she is never home and Akoetey said she will be kinda hard because she is dedicated to another faith and I kinda cant teach her because she is minte brofo (doesn't speak english). We will still teach her though! I'll bring sista Marama (former mtc pineapple lady/cook) to come with us (whoever 'us' will be...) and translate. It is hard to get people to progress if they can't read or speak english but luckily they have a literacy class during the 2nd hour of church where we can take people so they can learn if they desire.

Thanks for the Christmas stuffs. I opened it up kinda sorta early because on Sunday I was really craving a drink and I had a feeling that there would be some nummy good hot chocolate in there ;) I read the letters from the ward and from you guys. Thanks so much! The ward is cool. Also you guys had to fill that stuff out in like Nov to get it here in time huh? Thanks for being thoughtful.I like your cards and stuff. Thanks for your cartoon 'drawring' (british accent) and stuff. Thanks Grandmas and Grandpas too!

Well I went with elda Taylor to church this week (new missionary from Ogden) and it was fun. He is a cool fun guy, he is well versed in Star Wars trivia and knows about ddr2 ram and the importance of different flavors of M&m's. We get along well. He is a little obolo (chubby, terrible word huh?) All the little kids jump up and down around him and go "obolo! obolo!" Man don't come here if you have low self esteem.

For instance, I was teaching and the family went, "oh my goodness! Are there mosquitoes in your apartment? You need to sleep with a mosquito net. Look at all those red bites on your face!" I was then, "oh thank you...I'll be sure to do that...(charlie brown sad music here)" They ain't used to acne here.

Anyways yeah, Elder Taylor came around my area and got hammerd with fat jokes. My area is a lot more poor than his area, so the people just say whateva and manners out the window. He takes it like a man though. They really like it when he teaches. He is a cool guy.

I can teach pretty good now. I don't have to think about what to say and stuff now. It just happens now. The trick is to be short, simple and help them feel the Spirit. At Christmas conference (more on that soon to come) we heard a talk by Jeffery R. Holland about the "Divine Companionship" and how important it is to have a 3rd companion, a Divine companion. That companion is the Holy Ghost. It needs to be the head companion and we just bring and invite the Holy Ghost to be there and to testify. He talked about how important it is to not fight with companions during the day or else the Spirit cant be there. He mentioned the scripture in D&C 145 or something, about how "If ye have not the Spirit, ye shall not teach." He then talked about how "SHALL NOT" is commandment talk. If you don't have the Spirit, then THOU SHALT NOT TEACH! This was good teaching for this week.

I was being passed around this week with all sorts of companions who are different. We bickered and fought. It all started when we were in my area. My area is full of people who harass you for existing and are still being prepared to hear and accept the gospel, also it is full of insanely good people who are ripe for teaching. One of these unripened people/still being prepared people started harassing one of my companions about something non-gospel oriented and whatever and then my companion starts arguing with him. There was a palpable 'not good, runaway! (monty python)' feeling there. I stepped in between them and then forced him away. Then I chewed him out saying, "listen up, I am responsible for these people and I have dubbed this area an 'argue free zone.' You have more light than them so more is expected of you." I don't usually chew people out but these people are my responsibility so I had like a duty (almost like a missionary constitutional duty) to protect my people and teach this missionary. The rest of the day was poopy because the Spirit was gone. We then resolved it that night so all is cool. He even made me popcorn haha. I know I was supposed to hear that talk by Jeffery R. Holland at that time. I know that if the Spirit isn't there then it is better not to teach at all. The Holy Ghost can't be there with contention or rude feelings towards one another.

So we had the Christmas conference. We heard some cool stuff from the West Africa General Authorities. They taught us that there is a blind spot in all religion. That blind spot is that people do not know who Jesus Christ is. They do not know that He is the Son of God. They read it but do not understand it. People do not understand that we can become like God and that we can eventually be Gods just like Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and The Holy Ghost. We can sit down at the throne with Christ and God and be as they are. As missionaries we are supposed to help people fix this blind spot. It was cool. Also they mentioned how there are even more Latter Day Saints than the Jewish faith. The church is growing. Rock on!

So here are some pictures from the conference. I saw my mtc buddies and they are all doing well. The other Elder Bills hurt his knee cap again (former ACL tear) stepping (notice stepping) off his bike. He might have to go to another place or get surgery or something (not surgery here but either US or South Africa.) We will pray that he will get better so he can stay. I'm as healthy as can be though so don't worry. Just in case word travels around about a hurt 'elder bills' just know that it is not me. It is the other Elder Bills. I'm Elder Bills the Elder small bills/B bills, not to be confused with the other Elder Bills the younger big bills/A bills. Cool.

We had some good food and stuff. Hopefully these pics will work. The internet is being slow. I'll get them to ya if they don't work out this week.

Thanks tons for all your letters and goodies and prayers. Keep on praying. I'm praying to make it to Wednesday so I get a companion all for myself haha.

Elder Riding should be coming around soon with your gifts.
Here are some hints to nag you with.

Mom - big kahuna mufasa
Britt - pretty africa plus alien fertility haha
Dad - kakalukamafasaka! In the tiki tiki room
Dave - Think pineapple juice float and shifty eyes
Uncle Davey - Oh Say Can You See

haha. Have a Merry Christmas.
Love you all. Thanks everyone for all your letters and stuff. I like to read them and see how ya'll are doing.

Talk to you soon.

OH IMPORTANT!

I will call you on Christmas. Be home around 2 or 3 your time on Christmas. Cool? I'll talk to you for about 45 min.

Oh also I forgot to tell you that I did Granpa dads relatives name at the temple when I was at the MTC. He is all taken care of :)

Merry Christmas. Read Alma Chap 7:10-12 and think about why we celebrate Christmas. Not only about His birth but especially verses 11 and 12. Think about that during Christmas time. That is the message I and the missionaries are sharing. We should as well.

Cool. I'm learning lots and having a blast. Still malaria free!
Well off to go teach.

oh i'm teaching a lot of british dudes from Ghana but lived in Britain most their lives. They gotta British meets ghana accent. It is funny. Well gotta go. Have the best Christmas eva!